Bird news from Subhojit Chakladar
A quick weekend trip to Gageo over calm seas. List of selected birds observed.
1. Pomarine Skua – At least 4 skuas observed from the boat from Mokpo …. one of them being close enough to be definitely identified as a Pomarine.
2. Long-tailed Shrike – At least 3 birds present in 1-gu.
3. Black Drongo – Seen briefly in flight near the garbage dump. A species that is quite rare in fall.
4. White-backed Woodpecker – A single bird well observed near the garbage dump.
5. Light-vented Bulbul – There are now large flocks of this species consisting of at least 20~30 birds.
6. Common Starling – At least 3 birds seen in flight on multiple occasions.
7. Styan’s Grasshopper Warbler – A single individual poorly seen at the base of the quarry.
8. Chestnut Bunting – 2 individuals observed in the terraced fields on the way to the main village down from the quarry.