Bird news from Subhojit Chakladar
A quick weekend trip to Gageo over calm seas. List of selected birds observed.
1. Pomarine Skua – At least 4 skuas observed from the boat from Mokpo …. one of them being close enough to be definitely identified as a Pomarine.
2. Long-tailed Shrike – At least 3 birds present in 1-gu.
3. Black Drongo – Seen briefly in flight near the garbage dump. A species that is quite rare in fall.
4. White-backed Woodpecker – A single bird well observed near the garbage dump.
5. Light-vented Bulbul – There are now large flocks of this species consisting of at least 20~30 birds.
6. Common Starling – At least 3 birds seen in flight on multiple occasions.
7. Styan’s Grasshopper Warbler – A single individual poorly seen at the base of the quarry.
8. Chestnut Bunting – 2 individuals observed in the terraced fields on the way to the main village down from the quarry.
Bird News from Patrick Blake Spent the Chuseok holiday on Gageo-do, hoping to catch some migrants on their movement south. Weather throughout the trip was perfect, with predominantly clear sunny … read more
Gageo-do, May 1-3 Even though I have birded for a couple of years in Korea, this was my first birdathon. To that end, I had planned carefully to stay ahead … read more
Bird News from Robin Newlin and (for a while) Subhojit Chakladar Tuesday 22nd: Tuesday before the boat added a Common Sandpiper. Fewer Yellow Bunting — 2 seen. A Chinese Pond Heron … read more
Bird new from Subhojit Chakladar with Robin Newlin The regular weekend dash to Gageo to check out what the migration has brought forth. The sea crossing under overcast and increasingly … read more
Bird News from Jang Ji-Ung April 16: A Tree Pipit was observed when I was birding at Haneul Park. It was with an Olive-backed Pipit and I was able to … read more
Bird News from Subhojit Chakladar A short weekend trip to check out the status of the spring migration. All observations confined to the southern section of the island around the … read more
Bird News from Robin Newlin 21st From the ferry (intermittent outside access) a few Streaked Shearwaters. On the island, little evidence of incoming or newly-arrived birds. Two Bull-headed Shrikes. Several … read more
Bird news from Subhojit Chakladar Drawn in by the charm of this remote island … I decided to spend a second weekend there. Excellent weather conditions meant very few birds … read more
Bird News from Subhojit Chakladar October 12th A quick weekend trip (more of a dash rather!) to Gageo on the weekend under cloudless blue skies. The long ferry ride yielded … read more