Birds Korea, April 20th
Dear Participants and Supporters,
This is the third and final public notice for this year’s Birdathon.
Like previous years, this is a small event that nonetheless will help us to raise some essential additional funding for a special report we are producing for this October’s Convention on Biological Diversity conference. It also coincides with the global Pledge-to-Fledge Initiative (helping encourage new birdwatchers).
The rules for Participants are simple:
- Decide you want to take part and communicate this clearly here.
- This year, either do the Birdathon by yourself or as part of a team (four is the preferred number in a team, with all members of the team seeing or hearing the species if it is to be “counted”).
- Find at least one sponsor – someone who will pay you or your team for every species you see, or who will pay you for every hour spent. The more sponsors you find the better! It is best if you can ask sponsors to fill in the official sponsor sheets please.
- Choose a time to bird and start birding – for an hour or a full 24 hours, from midnight to midnight or any time of your choosing. Your Birdathon needs to start between 1AM on Friday, April 25th and 11:00PM May 4th (a Sunday).
- This year, participants within the ROK are asked to conduct the Birdathon completely on foot. The Birdathon must start and end on foot without any use of any kind of vehicle at any time during the Birdathon itself (Use of a vehicle requires the Birdathon to end or to start all over again…)
- Count the number of species you see or hear within that time period. For those within the ROK, these must be species in Category One of the 2014 Birds Korea Checklist (so excluding Feral / Racing Pigeon Columba livia). Please make a list as you go along and please document carefully any species not in Category One…!
- Please send the full list of species seen and the money raised to the Birds Korea office by May 16th. Thank you.
- Although everyone is doing this just for the birds, we do still have two books from last year to award to the two Best Fund-raisers …
With sincerest Thanks and Best of Luck!
For earlier notices please see: